• What types of business are suitable for the CraftCover policy?
    The CraftCover policy is aimed at UK based businesses that produce ‘hand crafted’ goods for sale via the internet, at craft fairs or markets or via other third party retailers (or a combination of these). Working from home or from a small workshop/industrial unit are both acceptable to us.
  • Are there any businesses that are not acceptable?
    We have a long trade list, based on the type of materials used, which should encompass the majority of crafting trades. However, if you can’t find your particular trade on our list then please let us know as we may still be able to include you. Larger businesses employing 5 or more people would not be suitable for the on line scheme but we would still be able to help you to find a suitable insurance product that fits your business.
  • How long is my quote valid for?
    Your quote will be valid for 28 days from the date that you complete the Quotation Request
  • What if I don’t have a trading name for my business?
    This is ok – not everyone does! Just enter your own name
  • What if I don’t have an email address?
    You will need to enter a valid email address to obtain a quote
  • I work from more than one address – this is acceptable?
    Yes. You can cover up to 2 business premises on your policy
  • What is the definition of annual turnover?
    The total money paid to you for products that you have sold or services provided in connection with your business (i.e. workshops, demonstration and tuition)
  • What if my craft is not on the list?
    If you cannot find your exact trade or one that best matches what you do on the list provided please call us on 0345 463 3003 as we may still be able to include you
  • I work in multiple crafts or materials – what should I do?
    Once you have entered your main trade or craft, you can then select additional trades or crafts that may apply. There is no restriction to the number of crafts that can be selected.
  • Why are children’s toys specifically mentioned?
    Unfortunately, these products can be more likely to generate claims and we may need to charge slightly more. This will depend on how much you sell in relation to other products and what you make. The manufacture of toys is regulated by the Toys (Safety) Regulations 2011 and you will need to be able to confirm that you comply with these.
  • What if I have more than 4 employees?
    Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate your business on the online scheme. However, do not despair; we will still be able to help. Just call us on 0345 463 3003 and we would be pleased to assist you.
  • I can’t remember the exact date or amount paid for past claims – what should I do?
    If you are unsure you should contact your current or previous insurance provider for details. Alternatively you can enter an approximate date or amount and then contact us on 0345 463 3003 once you have the correct information to hand..
  • What are the exclusions on this policy?
    Please refer to the CraftCover Prospectus & Summary document which details the general exclusions that apply or for more specific information please refer to the CraftCover policy wording. Please note that any amendments to the standard policy exclusions will be stated on your policy schedule.
  • What is an excess?
    This is the first amount of any claim that you will have to pay. Your insurers will pay the balance. Please refer to your policy schedule for details of the excesses applicable.
  • What is an Employer Reference Number (ERN)?
    An Employer Reference Number (ERN), also known as an Employer PAYE Reference, is given to every business that registers with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer. Businesses that pay any employees above the PAYE threshold are required to have an ERN which is the reference number for their employees’ income tax and national insurance contributions. Some businesses are not assigned an ERN if all employees are paid below the PAYE threshold – they are classed as exempt.
  • Why do you need my ERN when I request a quote?
    If you have selected Employers Liability as an optional cover and your business is not ERN exempt you will need to let us have your ERN. We have to provide this to the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) so that they can add your details to their database. ELTO is a service that was set up to help people who have suffered injury or disease at work quickly and easily find the relevant insurance company. For more information, please visit www.elto.org.uk.
  • What are the minimum standards of security?
    Most insurance policies include a condition which details the basic standard of security that is acceptable to them. The CraftCover policy’s Minimum Physical Security Requirement condition can be viewed here. In some cases, Sterling may insist on an intruder alarm where high sums insured or theft attractive goods are involved but if this is a requirement it will be clearly stated on your quote documents & policy schedule. If you are unsure about whether you can comply with any of the security requirements please let us know.
  • I work from home and have household contents cover – why do I need a separate policy?
    Many household insurance policies exclude property which is used for business purposes and legal liability for the goods and services that you sell. It is important that your business has the correct insurance cover in place which is why we have developed the CraftCover policy especially for you.
  • I use a van in connection with my business – can this be included?
    Unfortunately, we cannot include your van under the CraftCover policy but we do have separate Commercial Vehicle facilities available and would be happy to provide a quote. Just give us a call on 0345 463 3003.
  • What premium payment options are there?
    Your premium is collected when you decide to proceed with cover as part of the online system and we accept PayPal and most credit & debit cards. Unfortunately we do not have a premium installment facility at this time.
  • What should I do if I need to make changes to my policy?
    We realise that your insurance needs will change as your business develops so our system allows you to make changes to your policy at any time. These could be changes to your risk details &/or amendments to the cover or sums insured. Just let us know what you need to change or add by using the ‘Contact Us’ page of the website, remembering to include your Policy number, or by phone, and we will do the rest. Please note that these may result in changes to your premium so could result in additional premiums being charged or a refund of premium being given
  • If I don’t need to include some of the optional covers now, can I add them in later?
    Yes. Mid Term adjustments can be made to your policy at any time. Please note that these may result in changes to your premium so could result in additional premiums being charged or a refund of premium being given
  • What happens when my policy falls due for renewal?
    We will be in touch with you well in advance of your renewal date to give you the opportunity to check if there have been any changes to your business over the previous 12 months and whether any amendments are required to your cover and sums insured. Once you are happy with your renewal invitation you can process your renewal on line in the normal way.