Insurance for Graphic Designers

What crafts are classed as digital art?

Digital art encompasses a wide variety of different crafts that are made using software, computers or other electronic devices. It usually includes crafts and professions such as:

  • Graphic Design
  • Photography
  • Animation
  • Illustration
  • Videos
  • Digital Paintings

What insurance do you need as a graphic designer?

As a graphic designer, you may not even realise how specific insurance could help to protect you and your work. Regardless of whether you work at home, in a studio or as a freelancer who works in a variety of different environments, it is vital that you have the correct level of insurance in place.

Public Liability Insurance is an important consideration for any graphic designer or for those who work with digital crafts. This type of policy offers you protection if a customer, client or member of the public is injured as a result of your business activities. For example, you will be protected if a customer enters your studio and is injured as a result of tripping over your equipment.

Product Liability Insurance is also great for those who want cover for the goods you make, sell and supply. This is particularly useful for those who sell physical artwork once they have made it digitally.

Why do you need graphic design insurance?

As we’ve mentioned, although all of your work may be digital, you could still face challenges that could potentially financially damage your business.

As a skilled professional, you will likely know a thing or two about client contracts. Clients will likely visit your place of work, and an accident may happen resulting in them or their property being injured or damaged. Even if your clients don’t visit your place of work, you could still very easily have other accidents, such as spilling drinks on equipment that has client work stored on it.

You are also likely to have a wide variety of different types of equipment, from laptops, to tablets, to hard drives and printers. All this equipment can add up, so it’s a good idea to get insurance that will cover it all, especially if you work remotely.

Do freelance graphic designers need insurance?

Although it isn’t a legal requirement, it is best practice for freelance graphic designers to get the correct level of insurance.

One of the most common claims that can arise for graphic designers are copyright claims, or clients trying to recover compensation for a mistake that’s been made. These claims can be extremely financially damaging for those running their own small business, as well as those working as a sole freelancer.

Nobody can anticipate an ancient happening, so if one does arise, it’s best to minimise the amount of damage done financially as much as possible.

What is included in insurance for graphic designers?

Insurance for graphic designers includes our Public and Product Liability Insurance policies as standard. This means you will automatically be covered when you are insured by our comprehensive policies.

If you make, print and sell your products in person at crafts and markets, we can also include our craft fair insurance which is bespoke to your business. The flexible nature of this policy makes it great for a number of different crafters, whether you sell prints you’ve made or pieces of photography that you took yourself.

Do you need insurance to sell graphic design online?

While you don’t necessarily need insurance to sell graphic design online, there are many different factors that could land you in trouble without you even knowing it. For example, many fonts and assets will allow you to use them for free for personal use. However, as soon as you start selling your designs online with these fonts and other assets, you must have the right licence to use them.

If you accidentally use something without the right licence, it could lead to copyright infringements. Even if you have the right to use these assets, even simple things such as using a specific colour scheme could lead to other claims from other creatives or brands who you aren’t even aware of.

This can be extremely financially damaging, which is why it’s so important to have the correct level of insurance in place.

Can you get graphic designer insurance for one day?

Yes, you can get one day insurance policies for graphic designers. This is particularly useful if you know you have clients coming to visit your place of work for the day or you’re looking at going to a design exhibition for just a day.

It is vital that you have the correct level of insurance in place, even if it is just for one day.