Whether you’re new to the world of making and selling handcrafted lighting, or you’ve been doing it for years, it’s vital that you’re aware of the types of insurance you need in order to trade.
What is handcrafted lighting?
Handcrafted lighting includes handmade light fixtures that aren’t mass produced in a factory. Instead, they are handcrafted using traditional artisanal techniques.
This type of lighting is unique, and many of the pieces made have their own individual personalities that can transform any space.
What types of bespoke lighting are there?
There are a huge variety of bespoke lighting variations out there to choose from. Some of the most popular include:
- – Sculptural lights
- – Metal lighting fixtures
- – Custom made bedside lights
- – Custom made wall lighting fixtures
- – Light shades
- – LED lighting
- – Solar lighting
Do I need insurance to sell bespoke lighting products?
Regardless of whether you work at a high-street location, you work from home or you trade on market stalls, you should have an adequate insurance policy in place to protect you should someone make a claim against your business.
Having a claim against your business can be extremely damaging, especially if you’re just starting up.
What does craft insurance cover me for?
Our bespoke craft insurance packages offer specific cover that is relevant to your industry, meaning that you can have peace of mind knowing you will be covered when you’re teaching and selling crafts.
At CraftCover, our minimum level of cover includes:
- – Public Liability Insurance, which will cover you if a member of the public is injured, becomes ill or has their property damaged as a result of your business activities.
- – Product Liability Insurance, which protects you against the costs of compensation for personal injury and loss or damage to property caused by faulty products. It will also cover unforeseeable circumstances that could not be identified in your quality systems.
- – Loss of profit (due to unforeseen circumstances like fire and floods)
- – Employers liability
- – Cover for your computer or laptop anywhere in the UK, or Worldwide if needed
It is worth bearing in mind that product liability insurance may not cover faulty products as a result of bad workmanship, or financial losses to a business or person as a result of your faulty products.
Does craft insurance cover my lighting craft products?
Yes, our insurance policies are ideal for a variety of different craft lighting businesses, and many businesses do choose to have additional cover, such as cover for damage to raw materials, finished stock or pieces of equipment.
You can also add additional cover such as:
Can I get insurance to sell bespoke lighting at craft fairs?
Yes, at CraftCover we can also provide craft fair insurance within your craft insurance packages, meaning that you will be fully protected if you wish to sell your products at craft fairs and stalls.
When attending craft fairs, it is often a requirement by the fair organisers to show your proof of public and product liability insurance. We provide this service automatically and can also provide additional cover options should you need them.