Insurance for Paper Craft Businesses

If you have a passion for paper crafts, selling them may be a viable business option for you. If you’re thinking of doing so, or you already have a paper craft business, always make sure you have the right level of insurance in place to protect yourself against claims.

What crafts are classed as digital art?

Paper craft businesses include the production and sale of any kind of craft that is fabricated from paper and paper-like materials such as cardboard.

Depending on the time of the year, many paper craft businesses market their crafts differently based on upcoming celebrations and holidays. For example, during the Christmas period, papercrafting can be extremely lucrative.

There are many different types of paper craft, including:

  • Book binding
  • Scrapbooking
  • Origami
  • Decoupage
  • Paper marbling
  • Papier-mâché
  • Card and stationary making
  • Iris folding
  • … and many more

What types of insurance do you need as a paper crafter?

As with any type of craft business, it is vital that you have the correct level of insurance in place. The two main types of insurance your paper craft business needs include Public Liability Insurance and Product Liability Insurance.

Public Liability Insurance covers your business from legal expenses that may arise due to public injury as a result of your products or business operations. The main risks covered by this type of insurance include death and disablement to the public, and loss or damage to third party properties.

Product Liability Insurance covers your paper craft products through production, supply and sale. With this cover, you will be protected from unwanted costs should issues arise as a result of your goods, processes or packaging.

Do you need insurance to sell paper crafts at craft fairs?

More often than not, you will be required to show the craft organiser proof of your comprehensive craft insurance policy. This is because you will be directly interacting with the public, and so are at a greater risk of potential accidents arising.

Thankfully, at CraftCover, we can include craft fair insurance automatically with our Public and Product Liability Insurance. We can also include additional extras, such as stock and equipment cover.

We can also provide one-off craft fair insurance, which is a three day fair insurance policy that will only cover you for the days you need it. This is a great option for those who want to dip their toes into the world of craft fairs but don’t want to commit to having craft fair insurance that will cover you for the whole year.

Do you need insurance to sell paper crafts online?

Whilst popular online marketplaces such as Etsy, Folksy and Ebay don’t make it compulsory for you to have insurance to sell on their website, it’s always best to have sufficient insurance in place just in case a claim was to be made against you.

Having protection on large sites, such as Etsy, allows you to be protected externally should there be an issue with your products or customers. This is crucial as the marketplace sites themselves will not protect you against claims.

How CraftCover insurance protects your paper craft business

At CraftCover, we know how important it is that you have the correct level of insurance in place to protect your business against any extensive claims.

Whether you’re a small business that has years of experience behind you, or you’ve just started your new paper craft business, we can address all of your requirements and create the perfect policy for you.