Craft Insurance for Printing Art Businesses

The market for hand printed goods has always been a much loved area of the arts and crafts world, with new and traditional methods being used.

Whether you create lino prints or hand printed t-shirts, at CraftCover, we can provide you with the insurance you need to protect your business.

What classes as a print business?

Print businesses include a huge variety of different types of print crafts. Essentially, it is any business that produces a printed product, whether that is handmade or digital.

It is an enormous part of the art scene in the UK and we can provide cover for print businesses that work with the following mediums, and more:

  • Etching
  • Gocco printing
  • Letterpress
  • Lino printing
  • Screen printing
  • Fabric printing

  • What cover do printing art businesses need?

    Regardless of whether you work in a large scale studio, or you have your own small studio in your home, it is vital you have adequate cover in place to protect you and your business should someone make a claim against you.
    Our bespoke print business insurance packages offer specific cover that is relevant to your industry, meaning you can have peace of mind knowing you will be covered when you’re selling your crafts.

    At CraftCover, our minimum levels of cover include:

    Public Liability Insurance covers you if a member of the public is injured, becomes ill or has their property damaged as a result of your business activities.

    Product Liability Insurance protects you against the costs of compensation for personal injury and loss or damage to property caused by any faulty products. It also covers any unforeseeable circumstances that could not be identified in your quality system.

    Do you need insurance to run a printing art workshop?

    Yes, we always recommend you have adequate cover in place when you’re running a printing art workshop. This is because you will be in direct contact with members of the public, and if you don’t have the correct level of insurance in place, you could be held liable if your students were to injure themselves, damage property or create a hazard.

    Thankfully at CraftCover, we offer craft workshop insurance that covers your business, goods and premises as a third party when teaching printing art related classes to members of the public.

    Since you will be running a class for the public, it is your duty of care to make sure you are correctly insured to protect them, yourself and your business.

    Do you need insurance to sell prints at a craft fair?

    If you’re planning on attending and selling at a craft fair, you may not be aware that most organisations require proof of insurance before they allow you to sell your products. They will often need proof of both your public and product liability insurance cover before you can start selling.

    With our craft fair insurance policy, we can provide your printing art business with great-value craft fair insurance to protect you against any potential losses. Our streamlined online system keeps all of your policy documents available so you can quickly and easily show your cover to event organisers before setting up your stall.

    We also offer one-off craft fair insurance, which is great for those who are wanting to dip their toes into the world of craft fairs without having to commit to paying for a year long policy.

    Our dedicated blog goes into more detail about the insurance types you need to have to sell at craft fairs.

    However, you may not want to go too heavy with the Christmas themed items as these can be less appealing to customers who want products that can be used all year round. You also don’t want to be left with unsold stock that can’t be sold again until next year.

    Do you need insurance to make and sell prints online?

    Most online retailers won’t require you to show any form of insurance, however, it is still a good idea to protect your goods and your business just in case a claim was to be made against you.

    Without the correct insurance, your business may face extensive costs due to potential accidents and incidents. This amount could go way beyond what you may be able to afford. CraftCover can help by covering these significant costs as part of your crafting insurance policy.

    Do you need insurance to make printing art at home to sell?

    No matter whether you make your printing art at home in your kitchen, a garden shed or your garage, we always recommend that you get the right crafting insurance set up in order to thoroughly protect your goods, your equipment and your studio.

    Many crafters have home insurance in place, but not everybody realises that you may not be covered if a problem relating to your craft business happens. Working with dangerous equipment, like lino cutters or large print rollers, can increase your risk of damage in the home.

    If you want to protect your workspace from damage, you’ll need specific craft insurance on top of your regular home insurance.